Care and Maintenance Information
Carolina Counters strives to provide our clients with all of the information that they require to properly care for their new products.
Here you will find some manuals both online and available for PDF download.
Staron and Tempest Product Care & Maintenance
Staron and Tempest Product Care is made simple because the Staron® and Tempest® surfaces are durable and, in many cases, can be repaired or refurbished. With simple care and maintenance, a kitchen or bath area, as well has high-use commercial applications, will last for many years. Follow these instructions to preserve your Staron® and Tempest® solid
1. Everyday Care
General cleaning of your Staron® and Tempest® solid surfaces can be done by wiping the surface
with a damp cloth or sponge, then dry with soft cloth or paper towels to prevent spotting; especially in
areas with hard water.
2. Basic Stains
Clean with an ammonia-based product such as household glass cleaner or commercially available
non-abrasive spray-on cleaners for solid surface products. Wipe dry with a soft cloth or paper towels to
3. Stubborn Stains and Minor Scratches
There are over 70 colors available in Staron® and Tempest® products and each color can be supplied
with a different type of finish by Carolina Counters. Dark colors in countertop surfaces
and particularly dark colors that have been finished to a gloss, like anything else, will potentially show
signs of use, such as scratches and soap residue, more readily than light colored solid surface
materials. Therefore, a gloss finish generally requires additional maintenance and care to retain its
original luster. Different cleaning techniques are required to remove stubborn stains and minor
scratches depending on the type of finish and color as detailed in the following instructions (Note:
please contact Carolina Counters if you are uncertain which type of finish is applied to
your Staron solid surfaces).
DO NOT attempt to repair deep scratches, chips or burns, contact Carolina Counters.
MATTE FINISH is the standard finish delivered by Carolina Counters. It is a low or
no-sheen finish and is recommended in all high-use areas.
SATIN FINISH has a slightly higher sheen than Matte and requires more attention depending on
frequency of use and area of application.
Lightly scrub surface in a small circular motion with a wet sponge and an abrasive cleanser
such as Soft Scrub® over stain or scratch.
GLOSS FINISH is a higher and reflective sheen that requires additional care and maintenance.
It is important to note that a Gloss finish, especially on a dark color, will require more care than a
Matte/Satin finish. Therefore, be sure not to apply the same method or process recommended
for a Matte/Satin finish when caring for a Gloss finish. Repeat the procedure shown below – If
stain persists, contact Carolina Counters for assistance.
DO NOT USE ABRASIVE CLEANSERS AND PADS OF ANY TYPE ON A GLOSS FINISH;
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR STARON® CAROLINA COUNTERS FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Spray a non-abrasive product such as Formula 409® over stain and wait for a couple of
minutes. Then, scrub in a small circular motion with a wet sponge.
Darker colors tend to require more attention than lighter colors.
Scrubbing too aggressively may actually reduce the gloss level.
Do not use abrasive cleansers, pads or steel wool…
After completing the above procedure, rinse with clear water and wipe dry with a soft cloth or paper
towels to prevent spotting. To enhance the visual color clarity and hide minor scuffs, apply
Countertop Magic® cleanser (available at any hardware store or supermarket) and wipe away
excess with a soft cloth.
4. Preventing Damage
Minor damage that may accidentally occur is most often repairable by a Staron certificated
fabricator/installer or repair expert. However, be sure to follow these guidelines to prevent damage to
your Staron® and Tempest® surface:
HEAT: Staron® and Tempest® Solid Surfaces have excellent heat resistant properties
compared to other countertop materials. However, placing hot pans, as well as some heatgenerating
appliances such as electric grills or deep-fryers, can damage the surface. Always
use a hot pad or a trivet with rubber feet to protect Staron® and Tempest® . Avoid subjecting
Staron® and Tempest® Solid Surfaces to extreme hot temperatures.
CHEMICALS: Avoid exposing Staron® and Tempest® Solid Surfaces to strong chemicals such
as paint removers, acetone, and oven cleaners. Surfaces exposed to these chemicals should be
promptly flushed with water; contact may cause spots that may require extensive repairs.
Remove nail polish with a non-acetone-based nail polish remover and flush with water.
SCRATCHES: Never cut or chop directly on a Staron® and Tempest® Solid Surfaces surface,
always use a cutting/chopping board.
FRACTURES: Avoid standing on countertops or dropping heavy objects on the surface.
NOTE: Gloss reduction, scratching, and staining on solid surfaces incurred over time due to use is NOT a manufacturing defect but is considered normal wear and tear – The foregoing is NOT covered under the Staron® Limited Warranty. However, the countertop can be re-sanded and refinished periodically if you so choose -If your Staron® and Tempest® product is accidentally nicked or deeply scratched, please contact Carolina Counters for advice about the most effective method of repair – most repairs are relatively quick and simple when performed by Carolina Counters (service charge may apply).
Care & Maintenance
Care & Maintenance of Viatera®
Viatera Product Care is made simple. The composition of Viatera® makes the countertop low maintenance and resistant to scratches and stains. Viatera® is also heat-resistant, making it capable of enduring heat from normal cooking temperatures. Viatera® will remain beautiful and durable for many years of enjoyment with virtually no maintenance.
Normal cleaning of Viatera® only requires a damp cloth or paper towel. For tougher spots, a mild non-abrasive cleanser can help. For best results, clean spills as soon as possible. Because of its durability, Viatera® is able to defend against absorption of wine, lemon juice, tea, wine, fruits and vegetables without permanently staining or damaging the counters.
Cleaning Dried Spills
For tougher stains and dried spills, mild non-abrasive cleansers are a good solution to keeping the surface smooth and high gloss. Recommended cleaners include: Formula 409 Glass & Surface Cleaner, Bar Keeper’s Friend, Lysol, and Greased Lightning. For dried spills, a non-abrasive scrub pad can be used to remove the unwanted spill without the concern of causing damage or scratching to your countertop. Rinse thoroughly and wipe off with a damp paper towel to remove all residues. While Viatera® is usually able to sustain most household chemicals, avoid using products that contain bleach.
For tough spots from items such as gum, grease, paint, food, etc., scrape off the residue with a razor blade or putty knife prior to cleaning. The scraping may leave a gray metal mark on the countertop and can be cleaned off by using a recommended cleaner and a soft non-abrasive scrub pad. Polish off with a damp paper towel. For more stubborn spots or stains, soak a pad of paper towels in water and any of the recommended cleansers and apply the towel to the stain and let soak for a few minutes. Deeply clean with a non-abrasive scrub pad and cleanser, rinse thoroughly, and polish off with a damp paper towel.
Polishing and Sealing
One of the many benefits of Viatera® is that it requires no sealants or waxes to be applied during its lifetime. Because it is non-porous, with normal cleaning procedures, it will always remain glossy and smooth.
Viatera® is NOT Indestructible!!
Viatera® can be damaged when in contact with strong chemicals and solvents. Avoid products containing trichlorethane or methylene chloride including paint removers, car battery liquid, furniture strippers, and products containing bleach. These products can cause permanent discoloration to the surface. In the event that these agents come into contact with the surface, wipe immediately, rinse with water, and then clean with vinegar based cleaner. If the stain persists, contact the supplier/installer of your Viatera® product. Do not use abrasive and /or alkaline cleaning products. Do not use 3M ScotchBrite® green scrub pads or similar products, as they may dull the surface.
When trying a new cleaning product, it is recommended that you always try the cleaner first on a hidden place of the surface and follow the cleaner manufacturer’s instructions.
By following the simple care LG Viatera Product Care & Maintenance guidelines above, we hope that you will enjoy the lasting beauty and luxurious feel of all Viatera® quartz surfaces.
The following are recommended commercial cleansers that are available for the routine care of your Viatera® quartz surface:
- Non-bleach, non-abrasive liquid household cleaners: Simple Green Lime-scale remover
- Vinegar cleaner (diluted)
- Bar Keeper’s Friend
- Formula 409 Glass and Surface Cleaner
- Greased Lightning
- Inherent Material Characteristics
Silestone Product Care & Maintenance
REGULAR CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
Silestone Product Care & Maintenance is fairly simple. Silestone® and ECO by Cosentino® are low porous surfaces and therefore highly resistant to everyday domestic stains. For regular cleaning of Silestone® or ECO by Cosentino® surfaces, Cosentino S.A. recommends you use Q-Action. If Q-Action is not available, water and mild/neutral soap is the best option for regular cleaning.
CLEANING STUBBORN STAINS
The following are some of the actions to be carried out for stubborn stains that have built up over time:
Apply Q-Action to the stain and leave for 2 minutes then gently scrub with a sos scouring pad (normally supplied for ceramic hobs) until it disappears. Rinse immediately with water and dry. If Q-Action is not available, use CIF Original Cream in the same way.
LIMESCALE (glass marks)
Pour an anti-limescale product (like Viakal or similar) onto the surface and leave to act for 1 min.
Rinse with plenty of water and dry. Follow the instructions recommended by the manufacturer.
Do not use on any products (taps, sink, etc) other than the worktop itself as it might damage their finish.
SILICONE AND PUTTY MARKS
Using a blunt spatula and CleanColorsil or Solvent-based silicon remover (that does not contain dichloromethane) gently scrub with a soﬅ scouring pad (for ceramic hobs). Then rinse with plenty of water and dry.
We recommend that the marks are removed at the time of installation.
For diﬃcult stains, pour Q-Action (or CIF Original Cream) onto the aﬀected area leaving it to act for 2 mins.
Next gently scrub with a soﬅ scouring pad (for ceramic hobs), rinse with plenty of water and dry.
LEATHER FINISH AND VOLCANO TEXTURE COUNTER TOP CLEANING
For the regular cleaning of these surfaces with unpolished textures, Cosentino recommends the use of
Q-Action or water and mild soap.
For stubborn stains use a non-scratch scouring pad without applying too much force. These textures are rougher and therefore more susceptible to marks making them high maintenance surfaces.
DO NOT USE ABRASIVE CLEANERS ON LEATHER OR VOLCANO TEXTURES.
REACTION TO KNOCKS
One of the characteristics that makes these surfaces stand out is their high resistance to knocks. However, avoid striking areas of the surface that due to the fabrication of design, may be slightly weaker (pointed corners, ﬁne edges, etc.).
REACTION TO HEAT
Aﬅer using kitchen utensils such as frying pans, saucepans, etc, do not place them directly on the surface. Leave them on top of a tablemat (if possible with rubber support) to cool down. The reasoning behind this is that the thermal shock
caused by the diﬀerence in temperature (cold/hot) could damage the surface.
- Do not place outdoors or anywhere exposed to direct UV rays.
- Do not place objects recently removed from the heat directly on the surface, use a tablemat/pan stand or similar.
- Do not use repellents, sealants, polish, etc.
- Do not polish.
- Do not use paint strippers, caustic soda, or products with a ph of more than 10. If bleach or solvent is used, it should be diluted with water and never leﬅ in permanent contact with the product.
- Avoid all chlorine based products and any contact with Fluorhydric acid.
- Do not use degreasing agents with a high mineral content or highly vigorous products.
- Avoiding using metallic scouring pads. The use of this type of product can lead to the loss of the product guarantee.
Examples of products that should not be used on Silestone® and ECO by Cosentino® surfaces:
Paint strippers, brush or metal cleaning products, oven cleaning products, methylene chloride cleaning products, acids for unblocking drains, nail polish remover with acetone, etc.
NOTE: If any of these products are ever spilled onto the surface,
remove as soon as possible using plenty water and mild soap.
LG Hi-Macs Product Care & Maintenance
From renegade paring knives to busy lifestyles — LG Hausys Surfaces Material is made to withstand life. In fact, no special cleaning products are needed to keep your countertop looking great day in, day out. But like all fine materials, damage may occur if your countertop is mistreated. To help prevent this from happening,we’ve outlined a few simple ways to be sure your countertop maintains its original elegance and beauty for years to come.Normal cleaning only requires a damp cloth and a mild cleanser. If you’ve chosen a matte finish, you can use an abrasive cleaner like Ajax or Comet. If you do use an abrasive cleaner, we recommend periodically cleaning the entire surface in a circular motion to maintain uniformity. Avoid using strong acidic cleansers (like those designed for drains, toilets or ovens). Some of them can cause whitening,which can be difficult to remove.A few common sense precautions include not placing pans directly from the burner or oven on your countertops. Although HI-MACS® can withstand temperatures of up to 225 degrees, prolonged or extreme heat can cause yellowing.Troublesome spills and stains, like food dye, tea and fruit drinks can be removed with full strength bleach followed by a general cleaner flushed with water. Be sure and not let the bleach remain on the surface for more than five minutes. If a lit cigarette should come in contact with your countertop, a nicotine stain or a scorch mark can occur. Simply use an abrasive cleaner or buff in a circular motion with a Scotch-Brite® pad to remove.
Routine care of Your Dupont Corian® Countertop
There are three types of Corian® countertop finishes: matte/satin, semi-gloss and high-gloss.*
Most countertops are finished with a matte/satin finish. All Corian® sinks have a matte/satin finish Soapy water, ammonia based cleaners (not window cleaners as they can leave a waxy build up that may dull the surface) or commercially available solid surface cleaners will remove most dirt and residue from all types of finishes. Stubborn residue will require a little stronger cleaner. Follow the recommendations below to properly clean your countertop and sink. Experience has shown that a film builds up on the surface if water is left to dry on the countertop. This film will dull the look of the countertop making the finish appear blotchy and uneven. To prevent build up of the film, it is very important to wipe the countertop completely dry after spills and cleaning.
Some Corian® colors may require more frequent cleaning to maintain a uniform finish.Darker colors tend to require more attention than lighter colors. Over time, even with proper care, your countertop will acquire a patina, changing the appearance of the finish. You may restore the look of the original finish by following the refurbishing guidelines below.
Preventing Heat Damage
While DuPontTM Corian® solid surface is heat resistant, as with all countertop materials, it is important to minimize direct heat exposure to protect your surface and investment.
Always use heat trivets or hot pads when placing hot objects on any surface. Always use a trivet under portable heat generating appliances such as a toaster oven. Allow cookware to cool before placing it into a Corian® sink.
Preventing Other Damage
In most cases Corian® solid surfaces can be repaired if damaged.
Be sure to follow these guidelines to help you prevent permanent damage.
- Avoid getting strong chemicals, such as paint removers, oven cleaners, etc., on your Corian®countertop. If a spill does occur, promptly flush the surface with water to fully rinse ofthe chemical.
- Do not cut directly on Corian® countertops.Use a cutting board.
- Boiling water alone will not damage your Corian® sink; however, it is a recommended practice to run cold water from the faucet while pouring boiling water into the sink.
Removing Blotchy Appearance or Fine Scratches
You may notice that the surface of your countertop begins to look blotchy. Typically this is caused by leaving hard water to dry on the surface which will leave a film of minerals. To remove blotchy appearance or fine scratches
- Pour some mild abrasive liquid cleanser, such as Soft Scrub®, on a damp sponge or cloth and rub over area using small circular motions, from the front to the back, then side to side, overlapping the circles until the entire area has been cleaned.
- Thoroughly rinse the top with clean water and Wipe Surface Completely Dry.
- Check to see if blotchiness is gone. If not, repeat procedure applying more pressure on the sponge or cloth.•Continue over all affected areas until all film is removed.
Note: While this procedure may remove or minimize the look of very fine scratches, other deeper scratches may remain. They may be removed by following the procedure below or you may wish to hire a professional refinisher to refinish our countertop. Contact the Authorized Corian® retailer from whom you purchased your Corian® solid surface product to inquire about getting a quote for refinishing
Removing Minor Cuts and Scratches
Because the solid beauty of Corian® solid surface goes all the way through, DuPontTM Corian® solid surfaces are renewable. You can remove minor cuts and scratches yourself by following these instructions. Deeper scratches may also be removed, but repair is best done by professionals.
- First, wash the area where the scratch is located, following the instructions found in this guide, to remove any film on the surface as this fi may clog the cleaning pads. With the surface still wet, start rubbing with the peach colored (1500 AO) side of the abrasive pad. Use a light touch.Pressing too hard may actually leave deeper scratches. Rub over the scratch using a straight line motion. Periodically switch rubbing direction ninety degrees. Rinse pad periodically during this process to remove any built up residue. Be sure all of the scratch is removed.
- Clean top with water and dry thoroughly. Check to see if sanded area blends with rest of top. Please note that sanded area may not perfectly match remainder of top. Rub over a large area to blend in sanding.
- If needed, continue the sanding process using the blue colored (4000 AO) pad and if necessary the gray colored (12000 AO) until the desired gloss level* is achieved. Clean the top with water and dry thoroughly between each pad.•Rinse out all pads used and allow them to air dry before putting them away.
- An alternative to refinishing yourself, is to contact the Authorized Corian® retailer from whom you purchased your Corian® solid surface product to inquire about getting a quote for professional refinishing.
Avonite Product Care & Maintenance
|The final finish of Avonite Surfaces material should be specified in one of the following finishes: Matte, Satin or High Gloss.|
CARE AND MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES
Avonite Surfaces Sink Care
Use the Matte Finish cleaning and scratch removal procedures above. To keep sink color bright, clean occasionally with liquid bleach and water. Fill the sink 1/4 full with water, add 1 to2 cups of bleach, wipe the sides of the sink and let stand for 15 minutes. Then drain the sink and rinse.
Do’s and Don’ts Quick Reference
Product Care & Maintenance
Cambria Product Care & Maintenance is easy. Simply wash with a soft cotton cloth and warm water, use a mild soap if desired.
DO NOT expose, in use or otherwise, Cambria to abrasive or strong alkaline or acid or free radicals or oxidizers or the like (whether high, neutral or low pH) cleaners. Various chemicals are corrosive and/or erosive in their ability to attack any structure including Cambria. Be very aware of these potential damages to your surface.
Cambria IS NOT heat proof, chemical proof or fracture proof in any form. Be aware of damaging exposure to these potential damaging acts upon your Cambria.
DO NOT use or expose Cambria to such products including, but not limited to bleach, oven cleaners, Comet®, Soft Scrub®, SOS®, products with pumice, batteries, paint removers, furniture strippers, tarnish or silver cleaners, or the like. DO NOT use abrasive or harsh scrub pads. DO NOT apply any sealers, penetrants or topical treatments to Cambria under any circumstances. Such products will wear off and cause the gloss to appear dull or inconsistent. Contact Cambria for further information by calling 1-866-Cambria.
- Cambria is pure natural quartz. Variation in the natural stone (quartz) color, pattern, size, shape and shade are inherent and unique characteristics to be expected with this Product. This does not affect the Product performance in any manner.
- Color blotches are intended and designed into many designs to enhance the natural beauty. Samples are small select cuts from a slab; they do not exhibit all the characteristics of a design and therefore are not fully representative of what will be installed. Product will not be replaced due to these variations.
- Cambria is durable and more resistant to surface damage than other stone. However, all stone can be damaged by force and no stone is chip-proof. Objects hitting edges particularly at sinks or dishwashers may cause chips. Though a minor knife slip will dull the knife and not harm Cambria, no stone surface is scratch-proof. Surface markings are more visible on monotone designs than multi-colored surfaces.
- Cambria is not a seamless Product, seams are visible. Where there are seams the product pattern and shade can change.
- Natural stone surfaces can be damaged by sudden and/or rapid change of temperature especially near the edges, as well as direct and/or sustained heating of the top. Cambria may not withstand the direct transfer of heat from pots and pans and other cooking units such as electric frying pans and griddles, and some crockpots or roaster ovens and heat lamps. Therefore, the use of a hot pad or trivet is always recommended to prevent heating the Product.
- Cambria is not a structural support Product. 2cm and 3cm Cambria thicknesses are for countertops and must be supported. 1cm thicknesses are for surface finishes such as walls, tub and shower surrounds and fireplaces; horizontal applications such as a tub deck must be completely supported as well.
- Semi-polished finishes (1cm) will not shine and will soil and appear to stain from soiling.
- Cambria installation is optimized when walls and cabinets are properly prepared for installation. This includes but is not limited to structurally sound, straight, level and square walls and cabinets, lack of which may cause poor installation and poor seam fit, or inconsistent countertop overhang and placement.
- Cambria installation does not include qualification of any sink or stove cutouts (any cutouts), faucet hole locations or cabinet sizes. Cambria IS NOT responsible for verifying if sinks, stove or other cutout appliances, cabinets and faucet hole locations fit together well, or at all. This is the responsibility of the owner, general contractor, or the like. Cambria will fabricate cutouts per supplied model/template information. Cambria IS NOT responsible for the accuracy of the information provided.